Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog!
We are a new family to Home Schooling, and we are so excited to get started!
In a sense, we have been doing "Home School" for 7 years, since my oldest was born, but we are officially starting this year, with a 2nd grader and a Kindergartner, a pre-schooler, and an almost 1 year old.

We are doing the method of Thomas Jefferson Education, and learning from the classics. We are also very eclectic, and will be learning from all kinds of different sources.

I would like to share some of the fun things we do this year, on this blog. 

Home school can be very overwhelming, when you are getting started, but thanks to many new friends and my two sisters, who are also doing homeschool, I have been lucky to figure out early, that it does not need to be stressful, or strict curriculum.(yay!)

We mostly get to play and learn to love to learn! :)

My plan so far this year is-

Each day:
a page out of the writing workbook 
a page out of the math workbook 
For each grade

Once a week we will go to the library, and each student will choose books from one subject of their choice. 
I will read these books a long with them, and then have discussion time with them each day about what we read.

On Fridays-
We will do lap books for the subject they chose that week. You can watch a tutorial HERE (click on here for the link) on how to do a lapbook, they are really fun.

I am also excited to share a Co-op group once a week, with 3 other wonderful families. I will be teaching Math once a month, out of the Life of Fred books, starting with the first one-Apples. The other Mom's will be teaching Animal Science, Art, and P.E. (all my favorite subjects!) 

If you are getting started with Home School, getting involved with community groups, or park play groups for Home Schoolers, will be a support to you, that will be invaluable. We have been doing a park play group this summer, and it is the best feeling to make friends who are also doing Home School. I love it, and I am so grateful to be a part of it all!

We don't have an outlined curriculum or anything, and this may change as the years go by, but for now I am excited for the relaxed way we get to learn together!

Feel free to leave comments and questions!

Happy Learning!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you I will be following you! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Loralie! I am so glad you were able to join our park group too!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Rachel M. directed me here. I am here sister-in-law. We are homeschooling our preschooler (an only child) this year, starting in Sept. We currently live in Colorado, but are looking at moving to Idaho sometime next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Melissa! I am glad you stopped you stopped by! :)

      Delete
  3. To :mom This was Julia' sSpeshall Day. She Has Just Ben Babtised. She Got deressed .and sat down the men puot ther hands on Julia' s headand prayed sheshacked hands. Julia Reseved the holly Ghost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adria. :) I am so glad your special day was a happy one!

      Delete